Moral Stories in English Version

Author Topic: Moral Stories in English Version  (Read 21657 times)

0 Halaqian and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
    • View Profile
13 February, 2009, 12:12:05 PM
  • Publish

• Good story with old version…

There was once a washer man who had a donkey and a dog.

One night when the whole world was sleeping, a thief broke into the house, the washer man was fast asleep but the donkey and the dog were awake.

The dog decided not to bark since the master did not take good care of him and wanted to teach him a lesson.

The donkey got worried and said to the dog that if he doesn’t bark, the donkey will have to do something himself. The dog did not change his mind and the donkey started braying loudly.

Hearing the donkey bray, the thief ran away, the master woke up and started beating the donkey for braying in the middle of the night for no reason.

Moral of the story ” One must not engage in duties other than his own”
    « Last Edit: 11 September, 2009, 06:16:31 AM by Ummi Munaliza »
    Pengurusan, Pentadbiran Forum Halaqahnet.
    Penal Utama Baitul Muslim

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
      • View Profile
    Reply #1 13 February, 2009, 12:13:20 PM
  • Publish
  • Now take a new look at the same story…

The washer man was a well educated man from a premier management institute.

He had the fundas of looking at the bigger picture and thinking out of the box. He was convinced that there must be some reason for the donkey to bray in the night.

He walked outside a little and did some fact finding, applied a bottom up approach, figured out from the ground realities that there was a thief who broke in and the donkey only wanted to alert him about it.

Looking at the donkey’s extra initiative and going beyond the call of the duty, he rewarded him with lot of hay and other perks and became his favorite pet.

The dog’s life didn’t change much, except that now the donkey was more motivated in doing the dogs duties as well. In the annual appraisal the dog managed a ” meets requirement” Soon the dog realized that the donkey is taking care of his duties and he can enjoy his life sleeping and lazing around.

The donkey was rated as “star performer”. The donkey had to live up to his already high performance standards. Soon he was over burdened with work and always under pressure and now is looking for a job rotation…

If you have worked in a corporate environment, I am sure you have guessed the characters of the new story.

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
      • View Profile
    Reply #2 13 February, 2009, 12:15:56 PM
  • Publish
  • As I walked home one freezing day, I stumbled on a wallet someone had lost in the street. I picked it up and looked inside to find some identification so I could call the owner. But the wallet contained only three dollars and a crumpled letter that looked as if it had been in there for years.

The envelope was worn and the only thing that was legible on it was the return address. I started to open the letter, hoping to find some clue. Then I saw the dateline–1924. The letter had been written almost sixty years ago.

It was written in a beautiful feminine handwriting on powder blue stationery with a little flower in the left-hand corner. It was a

“Dear John” letter that told the recipient, whose name appeared to be Michael, that the writer could not see him any more because her mother forbade it. Even so, she wrote that she would always love him.

It was signed, Hannah.

It was a beautiful letter, but there was no way except for the name Michael, that the owner could be identified. Maybe if I called information, the operator could find a phone listing for the address on the envelope.

“Operator,” I began, “this is an unusual request. I’m trying to find the owner of a wallet that I found. Is there anyway you can tell me if there is a phone number for an address that was on an envelope in the wallet?”

She suggested I speak with her supervisor, who hesitated for a moment then said, “Well, there is a phone listing at that address, but I can’t give you the number.” She said, as a courtesy, she would call that number, explain my story and would ask them if they wanted her to connect me. I waited a few minutes and then she was back on the line. “I have a party who will speak with you.”

I asked the woman on the other end of the line if she knew anyone by the name of Hannah. She gasped, “Oh! We bought this house from a family who had a daughter named Hannah. But that was 30 years ago!”

“Would you know where that family could be located now?” I asked.

“I remember that Hannah had to place her mother in a nursing home some years ago,” the woman said. “Maybe if you got in touch with them they might be able to track down the daughter.”

She gave me the name of the nursing home and I called the number. They told me the old lady had passed away some years ago but they did have a phone number for where they thought the daughter might be living.

I thanked them and phoned. The woman who answered explained that Hannah herself was now living in a nursing home.

This whole thing was stupid, I thought to myself. Why was I making such a big deal over finding the owner of a wallet that had only three dollars and a letter that was almost 60 years old?

Nevertheless, I called the nursing home in which Hannah was supposed to be living and the man who answered the phone told me, “Yes, Hannah is staying with us. ”

Even though it was already 10 p.m., I asked if I could come by to see her.

“Well,” he said hesitatingly, “if you want to take a chance, she might be in the day room watching television.”

I thanked him and drove over to the nursing home. The night nurse and a guard greeted me at the door. We went up to the third floor of the large building. In the day room, the nurse introduced me to Hannah.

She was a sweet, silver-haired old timer with a warm smile and a twinkle in her eye.

I told her about finding the wallet and showed her the letter. The second she saw the powder blue envelope with that little flower on the left, she took a deep breath and said, “Young man, this letter was the last contact I ever had with Michael.”

She looked away for a moment deep in thought and then said Softly, “I loved him very much. But I was only 16 at the time and my mother felt I was too young. Oh, he was so handsome. He looked like Sean Connery, the actor.”

“Yes,” she continued. “Michael Goldstein was a wonderful person. If you should find him, tell him I think of him often. And,” she hesitated for a moment, almost biting her lip, “tell him I still love him. You know,” she said smiling as tears began to well up in her eyes, “I never did marry. I guess no one ever matched up to Michael…”

I thanked Hannah and said goodbye. I took the elevator to the first floor and as I stood by the door, the guard there asked, “Was the old lady able to help you?”

I told him she had given me a lead. “At least I have a last name. But I think I’ll let it go for a while. I spent almost the whole day trying to find the owner of this wallet.”

I had taken out the wallet, which was a simple brown leather case with red lacing on the side. When the guard saw it, he said, “Hey, wait a minute!

That’s Mr. Goldstein’s wallet. I’d know it anywhere with that bright red lacing. He’s always losing that wallet. I must have found it in the halls at least three times.”

“Who’s Mr. Goldstein?” I asked as my hand began to shake.

“He’s one of the old timers on the 8th floor. That’s Mike Goldstein’s wallet for sure. He must have lost it on one of his walks.”

I thanked the guard and quickly ran back to the nurse’s office. I told her what the guard had said. We went back to the elevator and got on. I prayed that Mr. Goldstein would be up.

On the eighth floor, the floor nurse said, “I think he’s still in the day room. He likes to read at night. He’s a darling old man.”

We went to the only room that had any lights on and there was a man reading a book. The nurse went over to him and asked if he had lost his wallet. Mr. Goldstein looked up with surprise, put his hand in his back pocket and said, “Oh, it is missing!”

“This kind gentleman found a wallet and we wondered if it could be yours?”

I handed Mr. Goldstein the wallet and the second he saw it, he smiled with relief and said, “Yes, that’s it! It must have dropped out of my pocket this afternoon. I want to give you a reward.”

“No, thank you,” I said. “But I have to tell you something. I read the letter in the hope of finding out who owned the wallet.”

The smile on his face suddenly disappeared. “You read that letter?”

“Not only did I read it, I think I know where Hannah is.”

He suddenly grew pale. “Hannah? You know where she is? How is she? Is she still as pretty as she was? Please, please tell me,” he begged.

“She’s fine…just as pretty as when you knew her.” I said softly.

The old man smiled with anticipation and asked, “Could you tell me where she is? I want to call her tomorrow.” He grabbed my hand and said, “You know something, mister, I was so in love with that girl that when that letter came, my life literally ended.. I never married. I guess I’ve always loved her. ”

“Mr. Goldstein,” I said, “Come with me.”

We took the elevator down to the third floor. The hallways were darkened and only one or two little night-lights lit our way to the day room where Hannah was sitting alone watching the television. The nurse walked over to her.

“Hannah,” she said softly, pointing to Michael, who was waiting with me in the doorway. “Do you know this man?”

She adjusted her glasses, looked for a moment, but didn’t say a word.

Michael said softly, almost in a whisper, “Hannah, it’s Michael. Do you remember me?”

She gasped, “Michael! I don’t believe it! Michael! It’s you! My Michael!”

He walked slowly towards her and they embraced. The nurse and I left with tears streaming down our faces.

“See,” I said. “See how the Good Lord works! If it’s meant to be, it will be.”

About three weeks later I got a call at my office from the nursing home. “Can you break away on Sunday to attend a wedding? Michael and Hannah are going to tie the knot!”

It was a beautiful wedding with all the people at the nursing home dressed up to join in the celebration. Hannah wore a light beige dress and looked beautiful. Michael wore a dark blue suit and stood tall. They made me their best man.

The hospital gave them their own room and if you ever wanted to see a 76-year-old bride and a 79-year-old groom acting like two teenagers, you had to see this couple.

A perfect ending for a love affair that had lasted nearly 60 years.

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
      • View Profile
    Reply #3 13 February, 2009, 12:44:07 PM
  • Publish
  • Mouse Trap Story

A mouse looked through the crack in the wall to see the farmer and his wife open a package.

What food might this contain? The mouse wondered - he was devastated to discover it was a mousetrap.

Retreating to the farmyard, the mouse proclaimed the warning : There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!

The chicken clucked and scratched, raised her head and said, “Mr. Mouse, I can tell this is a grave concern to you, but it is of no consequence to me. ” “I cannot be bothered by it.”

The mouse turned to the pig and told him, “There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!”

The pig sympathized, but said, I am so very sorry, Mr. Mouse, but there is nothing I can do about it but pray. “Be assured you are in my prayers.”

The mouse turned to the cow and said “There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!”

The cow said, “Wow, Mr. Mouse. I’m sorry for you, but it’s no skin off my nose.” So, the mouse returned to the house, head down and dejected, to face the farmer’s mousetrap alone.

That very night a sound was heard throughout the house — like the sound of a mousetrap catching its prey. The farmer’s wife rushed to see what was caught. In the darkness, she did not see it was a venomous snake whose tail the trap had caught.

The snake bit the farmer’s wife. The farmer rushed her to the hospital, and she returned home with a fever.

Everyone knows you treat a fever with fresh chicken soup, so the farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard for the soup’s main ingredient.

But his wife’s sickness continued, so friends and neighbors came to sit with her around the clock. To feed them, the farmer butchered the pig.

The farmer’s wife did not get well; she died.

So many people came for her funeral, the farmer had the cow slaughtered to provide enough meat for all of them.

The mouse looked upon it all from his crack in the wall with great sadness.

So, the next time you hear someone is facing a problem and think it doesn’t concern you, remember — when one of us is threatened, we are all at risk.

We are all involved in this journey called life. We must keep an eye out for one another and make an extra effort to encourage one another.

SEND THIS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER HELPED YOU OUT AND LET THEM KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THEY ARE.

REMEMBER,,,, EACH OF US IS A VITAL THREAD IN ANOTHER PERSON’S TAPESTRY; OUR LIVES ARE WOVEN TOGETHER FOR A REASON.

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
      • View Profile
    Reply #4 13 February, 2009, 12:47:10 PM
  • Publish

• Boy and Tree

There was one time a very young boy, who used to spend time playing by a tree.

One day he got bored and he said to the tree, “I’m bored, I’ve played with these toys too many times!”

The tree replied, “OK, you can climb up on me and play on my branches.”

The boy got really happy with this suggestion and he had a lot of fun playing and sitting high up, on the branches of the tree.

When he started school, he spent more time away from the tree, but one day he came back to it, and the tree was overjoyed to see its young companion, and it encouraged him to climb on, but he refused.

“My clothes are going to get dirty if I climb up on you.”
    So the tree thought for a while, and said, “OK, bring a rope and tie it to me, and you can use my branches as a swing.”

The boy liked that idea, so he did that too, and would come back every other day to sit for a while on that swing.

Whenever he used to get hot, the tree told him to rest in its shade.

As he got older, and moved on to college, times became harder on him and he ran short of food, so he went back to the tree which he had stopped visiting for a long time.

The tree recognised him immediately and welcomed him, but he was hungry and complained to the tree, “I dont have any food to eat, my stomach is cringing with hunger.”

So the tree said, “Pull down my branches and take off the fruit, and fill yourself up.”

The young guy didnt even hesitate, but jumped up and tore off one of the smaller branches and ate to his fill.

Over the weeks, he tore off all the branches and ate all the fruit.

After the fruits had all gone, he went away and didnt come back to the tree.

When he reached his middle ages, he came back to the tree and said to it, “I have been very successful in life.

I have earned a lot of money, I have a huge house and I have found a great wife.

Now I want to travel and see the world.”

The tree was now very old, but to help its long time companion, it didnt wait, and said, “Bring a saw, cut off my trunk and make a boat. Then you will see the wonders of the world.”

So again, without hesitation the man cut down the tree.

The same tree which he had played on, ate its fruit, laid in its shade; he cut it down and made a boat.

As soon as it was finished, he sailed away and wasnt seen by his people again.

One day, an old man, walked past the tree.

It hadnt recovered from the time he had cut it down. He went up to the tree, but didnt say anything.

He felt the tears coming down from his eyes.

This time the tree spoke in a faint voice, “I’m sorry. I dont have a trunk for you to climb, nor fruit for you to eat, nor branches of shade for you to lie in. All I have now are my deep roots.”

The old man whispered, “That’s fine. Tree roots are the best place to lie down, snuggle up and sleep after a long life.”

The tree symbolizes our parents, and the boy symbolizes us.

The moral of the story is that we make use of our parents like tissue, and use them all up, and dont even give thanks, but they stay with us till the very end.

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
      • View Profile
    Reply #5 21 February, 2009, 01:08:47 PM
  • Publish

• HONESTY IS STILL THE BEST POLICY.

Once a general manager wanted to test his people who had come from all over India, about their values of life.

He announced that in their seminar folder, there is PVC pouch and in it there is a seed. When they return,
    they must put it in a good soil in a pot and look after it very well.

He would hold a competition in the next year's seminar and that the best plants would be awarded suitably.

Everyone did what was told to him. A year passed quickly. And next year in a big hall,
    there were hundreds of pots and a great variety of plants-a great scene.

Except one pot in which the soil was there and no plant! The owner was standing quietly and seemingly ashamed of himself!

The general manager called him on the stage. He asked him what happened and he told him the truth.
    He planted the seed which he was given â€" and did that was to be done- but nothing happened!

The general manager declared him the winner!

Everyone was shocked. It was announced, "Gentlemen! The seeds I gave you were boiled seeds.
    You planted them and nothing happened! You acted smartly and used some other seeds.

This man was honest to his work and, therefore he did not cheat me or himself!"

otramen_mebius22

• View Profile
    Reply #6 07 May, 2009, 02:09:31 PM
  • Publish
  • Isn’t this the truth?

If you work too hard, there is never any time for her.
    If you don’t work hard enough, you’re a good for nothing bum.
    IF she has a boring repetitive job with low pay, it’s exploitation.
    If you have a boring repetitive job with low pay, you should get off your ass and find something better.
    If she gets a job ahead of you, it’s equal opportunity
    If you get a promotion ahead of her, it’s favoritism.
    If you mention how nice she looks, it’s sexual harassment.
    If you keep quiet, it’s male indifference.
    If you cry, you’re a wimp.
    If you don’t, you’re insensitive.
    If she makes a decision without consulting you, she’s a liberated woman.
    If you a make a decision with consulting her, you’re a chauvinist pig.
    If she asks you, it’s a favor.
    If you ask her to do something she doesn’t enjoy, that’s domination.
    If you try to keep yourself in shape, you’re vain,
    if you don’t, you’re a slob.
    If you buy her flowers, you’re after something,
    if you don’t’, you’re not thoughtful.
    If you’re proud of your achievements, you’re an egotist,
    if you’re not, you’re not ambitious.
    If she has a headache, she’s tired.  If you have a headache, you don’t love her anymore, and you must be gallivanting.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
      • View Profile
    Reply #7 09 July, 2009, 10:11:57 AM
  • Publish

• Beautiful Story about Quranic Studies.
    [box title=Beautiful Story about Quranic Studies]
    A young man had been to Wednesday Night Class of Quranic Studies. The  Mualim had shared about listening to Allah and obeying Allah through intuition.The young man couldn't help but wonder, 'Does Allah still speak  to people through intuition?'

After Lessons, he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they  discussed the message. Several different ones talked about how Allah had  led them in different ways and that at the end you'll know it was  Allah(SWT) Who has directed you.

It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home. Sitting  in his car, he just began to pray, 'Allah...If you still speak to people,speak to me. I will listen... I will do my best to obey.' As he drove down the main street of his town,  he had the strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk. He shook  his head and said out loud, 'Allah is that you?' He didn't get a reply  and started on toward home.
    But again, the thought, buy a gallon of milk came into his head.  'Okay, Allah, in case that is you, I will buy the milk.' It didn't seem like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. He  stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started off toward home.

As he passed Seventh Street , he again felt the urge, 'Turn Down that  street.'This is crazy he thought, and drove on past the intersection.Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street . At the next  intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh. Half jokingly, he said out loud, 'Okay, Allah, I will.'He drove several blocks, when  suddenly, he felt like he should stop. He pulled over to the curb and looked around. He was in a semi-commercial area of town. It wasn't the  best but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either.

The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark like the  people were already in bed. Again, he sensed something, 'Go and give the  milk to the people in the house across the street.' The young man looked  at the house.. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone  or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat  back in the car seat. 'Allah, this is insane. Those people are asleep and  if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid.'  Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk.

Finally, he opened the door, 'Okay Allah(SWT), if this is you, I will go to the door and I  will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay.

I want to be obedient. I guess that will count for something, but if they  don't answer right away, I am out  of here.' He walked across the street and rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man's voice yelled  out,  'Who is it? What do you want?' Then the door opened before the young  man could get away.  The man was standing there in his jeans and T-shirt. He looked like he  just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem  too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep. 'What is it?'  The young man thrust out the gallon of milk, 'Here, I brought this to  you.' The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway.

Then from down the  hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen. The man was  following her holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears  streaming down his face.

The man began speaking and half crying, 'We were just praying. We had  some big bills this month and we ran out of money. We didn't have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking Allah(SWT) to show me  how to get some milk.' His wife in the kitchen yelled out, 'I ask him to send an Angel with some. Are you an Angel?' The young man reached into  his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put in the man's hand. He turned and walked back toward his car and the tears were  streaming down his face. He knew that Allah (SWT) still answers prayers.[/box]
    « Last Edit: 11 September, 2009, 06:13:36 AM by Ummi Munaliza »

Ummi Munaliza

• Anniversary Ke 30
      • View Profile
    Reply #8 26 July, 2009, 08:39:42 AM
  • Publish

• Its a dogs life after all

[box title=Its a dogs life after all]
    A butcher watching over his shop is really surprised when he saw a dog coming inside the shop. He shoos him away. But later, the dog is back again. So, he goes over to the dog and notices he has a note in his mouth.

He takes the note and it reads "Can I have 12 sausages and a leg of lamb,please. The dog has money in his mouth, as well".

The butcher looks inside and, behold, a ten dollar note. So he takes the money and puts the sausages and lamb in a bag, placing it in the dog's mouth.

The butcher is so impressed, and since it's about closing time, he decides to shut up shop and follow the dog. So off he goes.

The dog is walking down the street when he comes to a level crossing. The dog puts down the bag, jumps up and presses the button.

Then he waits patiently, bag in mouth, for the lights to turn. They do, and he walks across the road, with the butcher following him all the way.

The dog then comes to a bus stop, and starts looking at the timetable. The butcher is in awe at this stage. The dog checks out the times, and then sits on one of the seats provided.

Along comes a bus. The dog walks around to the front, looks at the number, and goes back to his seat. Another bus comes. Again the dog goes and looks at the number, notices it's the right bus, and climbs on.

The butcher, by now, open-mouthed, follows him onto the bus. The bus travels through the town and out into the suburbs, the dog looking at the scenery.

Eventually he gets up, and moves to the front of the bus. He stands on 2 back paws and pushes the button to stop the bus. Then he gets off, his groceries still in his mouth.

Well, dog and butcher are walking along the road, and then the dog turns into a house.

He walks up the path, and drops the groceries on the step. Then he walks back down the path, takes a big run, and throws himself against the door.

He goes back down the path, runs up to the door and again, it throws himself against it.

There's no answer at the house, so the dog goes back down the path, jumps up on a narrow wall, and walks along the perimeter of the garden. He gets to the window, and beats his head against it several times, walks back, jumps off, and waits at the door.

The butcher watches as a big guy opens the door, and starts abusing the dog, kicking him and punching him, and swearing at him.

The butcher runs up, and stops the guy. "What in heaven's name are you doing? The dog is a genius. He could be on TV, for the life of me!" to which the guy responds:

"You call this clever? This is the second time this week that this stupid dog's forgotten his key."

----Moral of the story----
    [/box]
    « Last Edit: 11 September, 2009, 06:13:09 AM by Ummi Munaliza »

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #9 27 November, 2009, 09:45:33 PM
  • Publish
  • Fear

There was a lion who feared nothing except the crowing of cocks. A chill would go down his spine whenever he heard a cock crowing.
    One day he confessed his fear to the elephant, who was greatly amused.
    “How can the crowing of a cock hurt you?” he asked the lion. “Think about it!”
    Just then a mosquito began circling the elephant’s head, frightening him out of his wits.
    “If it gets into my ear I’m doomed!” he shrieked, flailing at the insect with his trunk.
    Now it was the lion’s turn to feel amused.

Moral: If we could see our fears as others see them we would realise that most of our fears make no sense!

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #10 27 November, 2009, 09:46:46 PM
  • Publish
  • Crooked Howler

A thief hired a room at an inn and stayed there at night. The next morning when he looked out of his window he saw the owner of the inn sitting in the courtyard. The man was wearing an expensive new coat which the thief decided would look good on himself.
    Accordingly he went out and sitting beside the innkeeper, struck up a conversation with him. Presently he yawned and then to the innkeeper's astonishment, howled like a wolf.
    "Why did you do that?" asked the innkeeper.
    "I have no control over it," said the thief. "If I yawn three times I actually turn into a wolf. Please don't leave me. I'm frightened!" And with that he yawned again and let out another howl. The innkeeper turned pale and got up to go but the thief caught hold of his coat and begged him to stay. Even as he pleaded, he yawned again. The terrified innkeeper wriggled out of the coat to which the thief was tightly holding on and ran into the inn and locked himself in. The thief calmly put on the coat and walked away.
    Moral: Don't believe every tale you hear.
    « Last Edit: 27 November, 2009, 09:59:25 PM by nur_fatihah »

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #11 27 November, 2009, 09:48:25 PM
  • Publish
  • Safety in Numbers

A fly was flying around a web but it seemed reluctant to land, so finally the resident spider poked its head out and invited it in.
    “No, thank you,” said the fly. “I was looking for other flies but I don’t see any. I only feel safe in a crowd.”
    The fly streaked away. Presently, it came across a large number of flies sitting on a large piece of paper.
    “Don’t land!” warned a bee flying past. “ It’s flypaper. All those flies are stuck to it!”
    “What nonsense,” retorted the fly. “They’re enjoying themselves! See they’re dancing!!”
    “They’re not dancing! They’re trying to free themselves!!” yelled the bee, but the fly wasn’t listening.
    It settled on the flypaper, and got stuck.

Moral: ‘Safety in Numbers’ may be a good slogan, but it’s not always true.

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #12 27 November, 2009, 09:49:20 PM
  • Publish
  • The Fairest of them all

An eagle once promised an owl in return for a favour, that he would never ever harm the owl’s chicks.
    “But do you know what my chicks look like?” asked the mother owl doubtfully. “How can I be sure that you won’t mistake them for some other bird’s?”
    “Well,” said the eagle. “Describe them to me, so that I can recognise them.”
    “Actually, they cannot be mistaken for any other bird’s,” said the owl, her chest puffing up with pride. “They are soft, fluffy, and by far the prettiest young ones you could ever see.”
    One evening, the eagle came upon a nest filled with screeching fledglings, their red mouths agape. He paused, then thought, “Surely these are not the owl’s chicks. She said they are very beautiful, but these chicks look hideous.” And he swooped down without a second thought and ate them all.
    Returning to her nest, the mother owl found it empty save for a few bloodied feathers.
    “How could the eagle have forgotten his promise?”she wailed. “I told him my chicks were the most beautiful in the world!”

Moral: Every mother thinks that her own children are the best.

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #13 27 November, 2009, 09:54:51 PM
  • Publish
  • The Oak Tree & The Reeds

The Oak tree always thought that he was far stronger then the reeds. He said to himself "I stand upright in a storm. I don't bend my head in fear every time the wind blows. But these reeds are really so weak."

That very night blew a storm and the mighty oak tree was uprooted.

"Good God!" sighed the reeds, "our way is better. We bend but we don't break."
    MORAL : Pride hath a fall

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #14 27 November, 2009, 09:59:05 PM
  • Publish
  • An Ant & A Grasshopper

A lazy grasshopper laughed at a little ant as she was always busy gathering food.

"why are you working so hard?" he asked, "come into the sunshine and listen to my merry notes."

"But the ant went on her work. She said" I am lying in a store for the winter. Sunny days won't last for ever."

"Winter is so far away yet, "laughed the grasshopper back.

And when the winter came, the ant settled down in her snug house. She had plenty of food to last the whole winter. The grasshopper had nothing to eat so, he went to the ant and begged her for a little corn.

"No", replied the ant, "you laughed at me when I worked. You yourself sang through the summer. So you had better dance the winter away."
    MORAL : Idleness is a curse.

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #15 27 November, 2009, 10:00:05 PM
  • Publish
  • The Fox Without Tail

A fox was once caught in a trap. It was only after a tough struggle that she could get free. But, to her sorrow, her beautiful tail had been cut off and left in the trap.

"How ugly I shall look!" moaned the fox, " won't the other foxes laugh at me ?"

Thinking hard, the fox hit upon a plan to save herself from being laughed at. She called a meeting of his friends and said, "Brothers! have you ever wondered why after all, we carry these long tails?" Let us cut them off and be free from their nuisance."

But the other foxes had noticed her cut-off tail. They laughed aloud and replied, "You used to say that tails looked very fine when your own was all right. Now that you have lost yours, you want us to lose ours too."
    MORAL : Dirty tricks seldom work.

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #16 27 November, 2009, 10:01:47 PM
  • Publish
  • The Wolf And The Goat

Once a wolf saw a goat atop a hill and said, "Come down here, Miss Goat! The grass here is greener and longer."

"Thank You," answered the goat, "the grass down there may be much better. But, if I come down you will get a good meal. So, I prefer to stay here - where you can't reach. At least I am quite safe."
    MORAL : Let not others exploit your gentleness.

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #17 27 November, 2009, 10:02:46 PM
  • Publish
  • The Miser

There was once a miser. He melted all his money into a block of gold and buried it in a pit. Every day he would dig it up and smile to see it.

One night the gold-block was stolen. So, the miser was in tears. A friend of his saw him weeping and said, " You should bury a stone in the pit and look at it every day. You never spent money when you had it Was it better then a stone anyway?"
    MORAL : It is a cause to be a miser.

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #18 27 November, 2009, 10:07:30 PM
  • Publish
  • The Wind And The Sun

Once the Wind and the Sun came to have a quarrel. Either of them claimed to be a stronger. At last they agreed to have a trial of strength.

"Here comes a traveller. Let us see who can strip him of his clock," said the Sun.

The Wind agreed and chose to have the first turn. He blew in the hardest possible way. As a result , the traveller wrapped his cloak even more tightly around him.

Then it was the turn of the Sun. At first he shone very gently. So, the traveller loosened his cloak from his neck.

The sun went on shining brighter and brighter. The traveller felt hot. Before long he took off his cloak and put it in his bag. The Wind had to accept his defeat.
    MORAL : Fury or force cuts no ice where gentleness does the job.

Halaqah_girl

• View Profile
    Reply #19 27 November, 2009, 10:09:27 PM
  • Publish
  • The Dreamy Milk-Maid

A Milk-maid had been to the meadow to milk her cows. Now she was returning home with a pail of milk on her head.

She thought, "I will make cream and butter out of this milk. Then selling them, I will buy eggs. and when they hatch, I shall have a good poultry farm."

She further thought, "I shall sell some of my fowls and buy a fine dress. Seeing it on my body at the fair, all the boys will admire me. But I will turn them away just tossing my head at them."

Lost in day dreams, she forgot about the pail on her head. She tossed her head with a jerk and the pail of milk came tumbling down. it was broken and all the milk got spilt. 

"Dear O dear !" she cried, "I have lost my all."
    MORAL: Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

divider3
    halaqahforum4